Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I have read through almost the entire forum looking for similar issues, but nothing quite comes close. I did read the thread on the idle jumpiness and MIVEC explanation and I do think it may slightly pertain to me since my idle can be a bit rough at times.

However, this noise has started to come up as of late. At first it only happened upon a cold start and lasted for maybe a minute or two. Now it lasts for a good 10-15 minutes after I start it in the morning. Along with this noise, my engine feels like it is not running 100% as far as timing goes.

The sound clip I attached doesn't include the other noise, which I wish I had recorded, but I also hear a rattling type noise that sounds like an old VW beetle's engine with poorly adjusted rockers. It only pops up when I accelerate after a cold start (not a hard accel, just normal) at around 2k to 3k rpm. In the same way, at first it only lasted for a little while, maybe a minute on a cold start, but now it lasts much longer.

Any suggestions on diagnosing these two issues? Like I said, I only have the recording of the first "sound". The rattling has not been recorded yet.

My car has 59,xxx miles on it, I service it regularly, change the oil/sparkplugs/other minor maintenance myself. In case it matters, the engine is bone stock.

Attachments

·
Registered
898 Posts
At 68,000 miles, mine makes a similar noise. I do know that prior to this the noise from my lifter tappets has been on the rise, so I am thinking that after I do the belated 60k service of putting in correct sized tappets, I'll either know that it was related or at least have a little less noise of which to then diagnose the next noise, this one.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Mine has just under 500 miles on it but pretty much every cold start, and whenever it's idling at a stop, I can hear in-cabin what sounds like the lifters tapping on an old small-block Chevy 350. Figure it's just the thin oil and cold temps we're experiencing right now and perhaps the [STRIKE]Mitsubishi [/STRIKE]performance-oriented nature of the engine. :innocent: But the sound is more of a ticking than the sound of your audio recording, so it's probably just the injectors. Yours might be something else.

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
I also vote for valve train noise. tappa tappa tappa. The reason it goes away when the motor warms up is because the components expand and the tolerances decrease. That and the nice warm oil making your motor feel better.

·
Registered
898 Posts
I hate to type the OP's avatar name -- I'm not one to insult!

Change your oil. I went about 2300 miles this time and had about 200+ miles of track time, worst I've gone with an oil change, and that noise is a bad sign of bearings hating your oil. Well, it was for me. A nice weather day today and I changed the oil and that noise like yours went away. Still have the lifters tapping, but that I am used to :)

·
Registered
1,108 Posts

·
Registered
898 Posts
Here's what mine sounds like. Just over 500 miles on it.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4016467/MVI_5968.MOV (finger accidentally covering the mic the first few seconds and again near the end)
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4016467/MVI_5969.MOV

Noisy injectors I guess?

It's only audible at a stop or while parked, and it increases in speed with engine rpm, so I'm guessing injectors and/or maybe the timing chain? Assuming it's normal though.
The dealer will tell you noisy injectors, but having lived with that from new to current, I'm gonna tell you they're the lifters, well, one or maybe two, that have compressed the tappets needing to get replaced. I tracked mine for at least a couple thousand in addition to the tens of thousands of DD miles so far, and the noise is worse, but it's supposed to be able to take 60,000 miles before Mitsu says to do anything about them. Funny how that's outside the engine warranty, it's not a coincidence or accident. It's the cost of the car, warranty, and the general maintenance design plan. Sorry! They're great cars but when it comes to wearing down, they will, they just will.

EDIT: Somewhere along the way I posed the question about the DIY possibility of that here and got a Mitsu mechanic to give information -- detailed tech -- and the experience the shop has doing that job. It's a 6 hour job for someone who's not overly cautious, not hard but tedious measuring and notating all gap specs. If you'd be willing to "front' Mitsu to prove one way or another it is/isn't the lifters and they find that the fix gets rid of that noise, I'd be surprised if they didn't turn it into to MMNA as a warranty cost and let you off the hook.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Is it something that would cause any problems with the car's performance in the meantime? What symptoms would be noticed as they continue to wear or if they're compressed?

·
Registered
898 Posts
I'm not tuned, so YMMV, but it's caused no issues in degraded performance or anything other than noise as a symptom.

·
aka anEVOx
356 Posts
Mine were replaced under warranty as they got super loud after 4500mi. Louder than the OP's.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I think I've noticed it actually isn't as loud on mine when the engine is cold but gets louder once warmed up. If that's the case, maybe a slightly heavier weight oil would help? If it's running 5w30, maybe switch to 10w30?

·
Registered
4 Posts
So my 08 GSR started making this noise similar to OP's. 15k miles ~2000 miles on last oil change. Kind of faint on the audio files but still audible. The sound (flutter/gurgle) increases in intensity with engine speed and occurs during light throttle (normal acceleration). Its driving me nuts since it occurred around the time of a OTS map of a Cobb AP (93 octane Cobb SF LWG). Cobb AP and ETS intake only mods. Any Ideas? First audio file not audible until 20 seconds in.

Attachments

·
Registered
447 Posts
Here's what mine sounds like. Just over 500 miles on it.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4016467/MVI_5968.MOV (finger accidentally covering the mic the first few seconds and again near the end)
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4016467/MVI_5969.MOV

Noisy injectors I guess?

It's only audible at a stop or while parked, and it increases in speed with engine rpm, so I'm guessing injectors and/or maybe the timing chain? Assuming it's normal though.
my car sounds the same way, maybe not quite as loud, but pretty much the same noise, its not harmful to the car or performance tho? pretty much its just loud and obnoxious?

i also get this thing where when I'm at a stop sign or red light, my engine goes from like 1000rpms down to like 500rpms, only lasts for maybe 6seconds, then it levels out to a normal idol sounds. its almost like the engines bogging down, but then realizes it and corrects its self if that makes sense. are the two issues linked together? or is the boggy idol caused by something different?

·
Registered
898 Posts
Mine were replaced under warranty as they got super loud after 4500mi. Louder than the OP's.
Mine thankfully don't get louder with engine speed, so the noise disappears relatively.

As does the really disturbing noise, I can hear it while in 2nd gear or lower, no higher than 2500 rpms, and esp at idle. It sounds like my crank, sounds like rods not yet "KNOCKING", but mildly "singing". At 75,000 I think I might have worn out an engine already. I can say it's got a lot of highway miles on it -- and relatively a lot of track and HPDE miles, even a dozen 1/4m timed pulls. I'm torn between driving it till it drops or not before dealing with a new engine/engine pull.

·
aka anEVOx
356 Posts
^If you can afford to, buy another block and slowly start building it up to how you want it and then you'll have a spare motor to throw in when it decides to "go". It would certainly minimize a lot of downtime.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I too have the tap tap tap noise and I keep hearing injectors but i did just get an oil change with ams oil and the noise just started....What oil is everyone using?

·
Registered
898 Posts
^If you can afford to, buy another block and slowly start building it up to how you want it and then you'll have a spare motor to throw in when it decides to "go". It would certainly minimize a lot of downtime.
From what I've read from others, how long it's taken to see them offered, and other anecdotal data points, I don't think I'm good enough as a builder to build something that will run for sure "out of the box", so I've started thinking about buying a built engine w/o any accessories from someone like Busher or MAP who've got a few years and builds to their credit, but yeah, basically my general strategy.

Just need to get that dang garage built I've been putting off!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hey. Sorry haven't replied in a while. I checked this thread a while ago and didn't see any replies so I forgot about it. I just got thru having a mechanic friend check out my particular problem. He found that I had an exhaust leak at the exhaust manifold gasket. When he pulled the manifold off he also saw a nice crack developing on the inside of it. :( Anyway, replaced gasket, and manifold and the car runs much smoother and definitely feels like it has its power back. (which makes sense since the turbo wasn't performing at 100% with the leak). However, at a cold start up I still have this noise. It is much much fainter now and it goes away after a min or two. I think the next thing to do is to do some research on the valve lash (tappets) and maybe see about doing this myself. This recent manifold/gasket repair, even though it was a friend, was not cheap, ha. Either way, I will report back with what I find when I get into my engine.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts