Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have just got the Evo for 1 month, ordered new at the dealership. While I'm still excited, I guess the car is not.:duh:

Recently the car has been struggling to start. Very often it cranks but the engine doesn't start. So when it happens, I would let it crank for a few seconds, wait, then try again. After several tries it has been able to start so far. [knock on wood.]

Relevant information:

▪ The car is stock USDM 2014 Evo X GSR
▪ It's been about ~10°C (~50°F) outside
▪ Fuel pump relays are stock 2014 model year black Panasonic ones
▪ The engine runs normally after the it starts

Based on what I know about it, the engine need air, fuel, and sparks to start. If the engine can operate normally, the air and spark plugs must be fine. So I'm wondering if it's the fuel injectors clogged? (all of them are clogged? can it be?) ECU doesn't understand I'm trying to start the engine? Or something else?

Thanks in advance for any inputs. You know you want to talk to your friends when your wife hates you. :godance: So here I am. If the car keeps behaving this way, she would have to visit the dealer's service department soon.:innocent:

·
Registered
223 Posts
I wouldn't waste your time trying to diagnose it here. If there's a problem on a 1 month old car, that's the dealership's problem. Take it in and let them figure it out!

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are you using 91+ octane gas? Does it struggle to crank? Does the cranking sound normal? Have you recently made any mods or unplug anything?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Could that be the issue...?! I got a tank of 91 (instead of 93) octane gas from Sunoco and yes, the problem occurs since then. Before that I have been pumping 93.

It cranks pretty strongly and cranking sound is nice and original. My only recent mods are wheel alignment and to ziptie the fuel pressure regulator hose.

If it's because of Massachusetts's 91 octane gas, then:

·
Banned
4,212 Posts
It's worth getting the dealership to check it out under warranty because you could just have a lemon of a motor with really poor compression (which would cause very hard starting but you might not necessarily notice it once driving because of our forced induction advantage). It's a long shot, but might as well have them check it out.

Otherwise, it could be something wrong with the fuel system not being able to hold pressure. Are you throwing any codes like a P0171 (system too lean)? Does the engine bay smell heavily of gas after an attempted start?

·
Banned
4,212 Posts
Could that be the issue...?! I got a tank of 91 (instead of 93) octane gas from Sunoco and yes, the problem occurs since then. Before that I have been pumping 93.

It cranks pretty strongly and cranking sound is nice and original. My only recent mods are wheel alignment and to ziptie the fuel pressure regulator hose.

If it's because of Massachusetts's 91 octane gas, then:

I'm sorry, but the detonation resistance of your gasoline has nothing to do with being able to start the motor, unless running < 91 octane fuel for an extended period of time damaged your pistons and led to poor compression.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's worth getting the dealership to check it out under warranty because you could just have a lemon of a motor with really poor compression (which would cause very hard starting but you might not necessarily notice it once driving because of our forced induction advantage). It's a long shot, but might as well have them check it out.

Otherwise, it could be something wrong with the fuel system not being able to hold pressure. Are you throwing any codes like a P0171 (system too lean)? Does the engine bay smell heavily of gas after an attempted start?
Gotcha. I'm taking the car to the dealership.:)

I have got like ~5 tanks of 93 and 1 tank of 91. So perhaps it's not the 91 gas.

·
Banned
4,212 Posts
Gotcha. I'm taking the car to the dealership.:)

I have got like ~5 tanks of 93 and 1 tank of 91. So perhaps it's not the 91 gas.
It's really not the 91 octane fuel. Just put it out of your mind :thumbup: Many of us only have 91 octane to choose from.

It is a possibility that the gas you filled up is bad, but I haven't seen that happen in a LOOOOONG time.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)

·
Registered
350 Posts
I wouldn't say its the 91 either. All we have here is E85, 85, 87 and 91. That's what happens up in the mile high club. Take it to the dealer before anything else happens then they say nope!

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Postscript

So I went to the dealership in the morning. The mechanic tried to start the car. It started. Henceforth the service manager told me that as they 1) couldn't replicate the problem, 2) found no codes stored in the ECU, he cannot file any claims for further diagnosis or repair.

Thus, I told the service manager I could pay for a compression test, just to make sure at least the engine was functioning normally. He told that to the mechanic, and the mechanic came to told me a $100's compression test wouldn't be necessary, as he was very confident that the engine produced no abnormal shaking, nor was there any black or white smoke coming out of the exhaust. Therefore, he ensured me that the engine must be running perfectly.

I choose to trust his judgement as of now. There is a guess that maybe it was a bad tank of gas (excessive water or other incombustible liquids), as the symptom has temporarily gone away as I switch back to 93 octane gas.

We will see what magnitude of mistake I have made by leaving it the way it is in the future.:coffee:

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
So I went to the dealership in the morning. The mechanic tried to start the car. It started. Henceforth the service manager told me that as they 1) couldn't replicate the problem, 2) found no codes stored in the ECU, he cannot file any claims for further diagnosis or repair.

Thus, I told the service manager I could pay for a compression test, just to make sure at least the engine was functioning normally. He told that to the mechanic, and the mechanic came to told me a $100's compression test wouldn't be necessary, as he was very confident that the engine produced no abnormal shaking, nor was there any black or white smoke coming out of the exhaust. Therefore, he ensured me that the engine must be running perfectly.

I choose to trust his judgement as of now. There is a guess that maybe it was a bad tank of gas (excessive water or other incombustible liquids), as the symptom has temporarily gone away as I switch back to 93 octane gas.

We will see what magnitude of mistake I have made by leaving it the way it is in the future.:coffee:

Sounds like you may be new to Mitsu dealerships.
1. Don't trust the "technicians/experts" at the dealer.
2. Get it in writing. Nothing was deemed wrong, and compression test was practically denied, lol. That way, you have a fail safe should anything occur. *knock on wood*

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
There are many threads on this, you are not just going from off to start right away are you? I have had this problem for 4 years with good compression tests. You have to put it to the ACC position for a couple seconds and you'll hear two clicks, then start.
It is just finicky when you don't and sometimes that doesn't even do it for you. I just hold the damn starter if it doesn't work after the second attempt. But if you get in the habit of waiting on those two clicks you will have a lot less problems.

·
aka EvoBabe
284 Posts

Omg I've been going thru the SAME EXACT THING. I took it to the dealership FIVE times for this problem and they think I'm crazy cuz they can't duplicate the problem. I even left it with them for 3 days so that they can start it up each day hoping it wouldn't start one of the days. Well of course, my luck it started all 3 days. So I took it to a shop that specializes in Evos they hooked it up and ran a couple tests and said it was my starter. So I relayed this message back to Mitsu and they were so sick of seeing me that they just replaced the started with no questions asked (all under factory warranty). I'm almost positive it wasn't the starter though because since having a new starter put in about 3-4 weeks ago my evo has not wanted to start atleast 2-3 times since then so it's not fixed. It happens maybe once every other week. It sucks to have such an amazing car but be so paranoid everytime I start it up :( I hope to get real answers one day.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sounds like you may be new to Mitsu dealerships.
1. Don't trust the "technicians/experts" at the dealer.
2. Get it in writing. Nothing was deemed wrong, and compression test was practically denied, lol. That way, you have a fail safe should anything occur. *knock on wood*

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Hahahahaha :coffee: cheers.

As I will be importing the car from the US to Canada soon, I will literally void all that "warranty" anyway, so like.. meh. :yay:

There are many threads on this, you are not just going from off to start right away are you? I have had this problem for 4 years with good compression tests. You have to put it to the ACC position for a couple seconds and you'll hear two clicks, then start.
It is just finicky when you don't and sometimes that doesn't even do it for you. I just hold the damn starter if it doesn't work after the second attempt. But if you get in the habit of waiting on those two clicks you will have a lot less problems.
Thanks for the info. I will do this.

What causes it? The ECU takes its time to start the fuel pump?:p

Omg I've been going thru the SAME EXACT THING. I took it to the dealership FIVE times for this problem and they think I'm crazy cuz they can't duplicate the problem. I even left it with them for 3 days so that they can start it up each day hoping it wouldn't start one of the days. Well of course, my luck it started all 3 days. So I took it to a shop that specializes in Evos they hooked it up and ran a couple tests and said it was my starter. So I relayed this message back to Mitsu and they were so sick of seeing me that they just replaced the started with no questions asked (all under factory warranty). I'm almost positive it wasn't the starter though because since having a new starter put in about 3-4 weeks ago my evo has not wanted to start atleast 2-3 times since then so it's not fixed. It happens maybe once every other week. It sucks to have such an amazing car but be so paranoid everytime I start it up :( I hope to get real answers one day.
Ahhhh let us hope that someone figures this out some day! :workout:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts